Table of content
Hiring a web developer isn’t tricky. But hiring a web developer that meets your needs is a tough call. This blog post will help you figure out what kind of developer you need, how to do successful research, and set an effective partnership with your development team.
Things to Figure Out Before Hiring a Web Developer
So you have decided to hire a developer. What’s next? Firstly, ask yourself a few questions to help you figure out whom you want to see on your project.
Why Are You Hiring?
Is it the launch of a new project? Or is it the expansion of an existing one?
Either way, you need to figure out what you expect from a new employee at this stage of the project development. Maybe you want him/her to take on some critical processes, become a team lead, or even manage a team of foreign freelancers – all of these factors influence your choice.
What Are Your Expectations?
Just imagine: a newcomer joins your team of developers. So what’s next? How do you see the result in 6 months or a year? Figure out the expected changes for a short or long term and conclude if it’s realistically possible.
What’s Your Product’s Vision?
Your product's vision will define the goals that'll take you there. Before enrolling in any collaboration with developers, take your time to think and answer the following questions:
- What users' needs will your product satisfy? How will it do it?
- Will your product provide a different solution as compared to the competitors?
- What values will your product bring to the customer?
Once you have answered these questions, it will be easier for you to make a project estimation and outline the tasks you need to complete. Based on this, filling the position will be a piece of cake.
3 Existing Employment Models
The specifics of your project will define the way you will collaborate with your development team. Explore these pros and cons to choose the model that suits your project best.
Hiring a Web Developer In-House: Opt For Full Commitment
The first option that comes along in assembling a team of developers is hiring in-house. This means employing a professional who will be fully committed to your project with no by-side duties. When you hire a person in-house, you take responsibility for the working environment, equipment, insurance, personal benefits, etc.
Pros of In-House Hiring
- The total commitment of the employee;
- The employee ingrained in the company’s culture;
- In-house employment leads to more input and involvement;
- The in-house developer will be more aware of the developments in the company.
Cons of In-House Hiring
- Responsibility of providing suitable working conditions and equipment;
- Only full-time employment option.
Hiring a Freelance Web Developer: Take Advantage of Freedom
Cooperation on a freelance-basis has been a widely-used option for company owners. Sometimes you cannot ensure full-time employment for a person you hire, so opting for freelance can suit you better.
Pros of Freelance
- No need to provide working equipment;
- The scope of employment is optional.
Cons of Freelance
- A freelance worker can be involved in other projects, which means less commitment;
- Complicated onboarding process.
Hiring an Outsource Team
The most popular option among business owners these days is hiring development teams with the outsourcing collaboration model. IT Outsource is a contract-based collaboration mode, where a group provides the IT-reliant business processes, application services, and infrastructure solutions.
This model has become more relevant this year, as the pandemic has given way to widespread remote collaboration. According to the annual global revenue from information technology, outsourcing reached 66.5 billion U.S. dollars in 2019.
As for 2021, this amount is expected to reach over one trillion U.S. dollars worldwide, an increase of 4.1 percent from the previous year.
Pros of Outsource Hiring
- No responsibility for the working equipment and documentation;
- You may choose the company with the proper experience;
- Contract-based collaboration;
Cons of Outsource Hiring
- Lack Of Control
- Possible Communication Issues
Why Hiring Outsourced Team of Developers Is The Best Choice
For 6+ years of working with startups and established businesses, clients came to us for different reasons. But there are two main motives why companies choose IT outsourcing:
- 65% said outsourcing helps them focus on core functions;
- 63% mentioned cost-cutting as a key benefit of outsourcing.
According to Deloitte's research.
When we ask our clients why they pick us, they often say that they hire Uptech web developers because of the following reasons:
- They get access to the pool of tech talents;
- We ask questions and give professional advice;
- They solve capacity issues.
The need for outsourcing is hard to overestimate. 92% of G2000 companies are already outsourcing, and 60% of organizations are outsourcing app development specifically. Google, Facebook, and Slack are companies that hire outsourcing teams.
If you have just a raw idea and no team, outsourcing a web app development company is the best option. We will help you develop your app end-to-end in the shortest possible time.
In another case, when you already have a product but need an extra hand of help or an external point of view, we also have something to offer. With our tech expertise in web development, fresh ideas, and a dedicated team, the app development process becomes faster and smooth.
Outsourcing to Ukraine: Skills, Costs, Resilience
Ukraine has been fighting against Russia for more than six months, which might look like a red flag for companies to outsource developers from Ukraine, but everything is not so black and white.
Many Ukraine-based tech companies with core markets in the U.S. and Europe continue to operate uninterrupted after ensuring their teams and data are completely safe. Uptech is one of them. We demonstrated strong resilience and ability to provide quality services amid the worst of challenges. That's one of many reasons why hiring web developers from Ukraine is efficient.
Let's look at 4 reasons to hire web developers from Ukraine.
Ukraine has an immense talent pool
Ukraine is one of the most qualified and professional development points. In the first half of 2021, the 50 largest Ukrainian IT companies grew their headcounts by 10,000 professionals.
Ukraine offers the best cost/quality ratio
We are one of the best countries for IT outsourcing from a business point. The development rates here are fair enough compared to Eastern Europe and the U.S. The quality of education in Ukraine is one of the best.
Ukraine is a part of the global tech community
We participate in and organize global tech events, like iForum, with over 6000 participants each year.
Ukraine is a startup hub
Ukraine is home to world-known tech startups, leading in their sectors — Putcube, Reface, MacPaw, Headway, and Better.Me.
Nearly 2 million people have returned to Ukraine, out of 7 million who had fled away since the start of the full-scale war, and many more are on the way back. We are showing the world that we are ready to work, rebuild the country, and support the economy.
By hiring developers from Ukraine, you support Ukraine and close our victory.
3 Outsourcing Models to Choose From
Outsource employment is a broad term. You can adapt outsourcing cooperation to your needs and choose a collaboration model that suits your project best. Here are three of the most popular options:
1. Dedicated team. A dedicated team is a model where a client and a developers’ team collaborate on a long-term basis. This model implies the team’s full commitment and a guarantee that a developer will not take on projects from other clients.
2. Time & Materials. The time and material formula is where a customer pays for the hours spent for the product development and completed amount of work.
3. Fixed-price model. In this model, the budget and timeline are predefined before the project starts. The client pays the amount agreed in the contract, regardless of any blockers that occur during the project.
How to Hire Web Developers Team That’s Right for You: 7 Key Steps
We recommend these seven steps that will help you find a suitable person for your project.
Step 1 – Outline your business needs
Before jumping right into the Internet surfing and googling "how to hire a web developer," you should do some homework. Defining your business needs will give you a clear understanding of which web developers will suit your project the best. Think of the following questions:
- Why do I need to hire an outsourced web developer?
- What are the min and max times of our collaboration?
- What do I expect to get in the result?
- What is the scope of work?
Step 2 – Define the developer’s skills needed
There are different types of web developers' skills, and you should know exactly what you need and if you need just one developer or maybe more.
- Front-end developers make changes to the front of your site – the main responsibility is to ensure that users can easily interact with the website.
- Back-end developers make changes to the website architecture, hidden behind the front-end – the main responsibility is to ensure that website works with no errors.
Web languages/databases back-end developers use: PHP, Python, Ruby, Java, SQL, and others.
- Full-stack developers make changes to both the front and back-end of websites. Note that full-stack developers have a higher hourly rate, compared to the developers focused on one part of development, but, in the end, it is cheaper to hire one front-end specialist than the front and back-end developers.
Step 3 – List your selection criteria
The choice is always about compromise. To hire a web developer that matches your project, you need to understand what you can compromise and what is your top priority. There are a few key things you should think of:
- Country of outsourcing;
- Level of experience in your industry;
- Tech skills;
- Soft skills;
We suggest making a table and ranking these points from the most critical to the least important.
Step 4 – Ask for recommendations
When you pass all the previous steps, you have a clearer picture of the web developer you need, and now it's time to ask for recommendations.
In web app development outsourcing, asking for advice is very common and useful. Ask your friends or make a post on LinkedIn and ask people if they have some good web development companies in mind. If it doesn't work for you, you are free to ask the company that seems attractive for clients' feedback. For a reliable company, it won't be a problem.
Step 5 – Check the relevant websites
To hire a web development team, you need to know where to look for them and, more importantly, have some resources where you can compare your candidates. Here are the websites with the list of top web development companies:
- Clutch – a B2B review platform where clients share their experience working with development companies.
- Goodfirms – a B2B research and review platform for top technology, software & eCommerce development service companies.
Step 6 – Explore the company’s expertise
Step 7 – Check the soft skills
Work isn't only about toiling. Likewise, employment isn't about choosing candidates based on hard skills. Outsource development usually involves a long-term journey. So isn’t it essential to share this journey with amicable candidates? We guess it is. So our recommendation is to talk about the candidate’s values and goals, ask him/her about his inspiration, and see if there is chemistry between you and the candidate.
Hiring Web App Developer Process at Uptech
With 5 years of experience in the outsourcing market, we help startup companies and enterprises to build the products they dream of. To help our clients make the right choice, we take the following steps during the hiring process:
- Introduction call. Once a potential client has requested to work with us, we hold an introductory meeting to discuss goals, timelines, and budget. We make an intro call to know more about the client and define if we are a fit.
- Project estimation. Following the introduction, we make the general evaluation of the project and tasks included to discuss the team involvement;
- Interview with the team. Once the tasks are defined, we gather a team of developers who have the proper expertise and set up an interview with the client;
- Start of collaboration. Finally, we hold a kick-off call to set the start date and make a contract.
Hiring web developers for your project takes time and effort. However, having a crystal-clear vision of your product makes it twice easier. As a product development studio, Uptech can help you bring clarity to your product's vision and turn it into flawless codes. Tell us about your idea, and we will pull our efforts to make it come true.